When you need assistance in getting the benefits you or a family member is due as a veteran or an eligible dependent you should utilize the assistance of a Veterans Service Officer (VSO). You may think that VSOs are only the usual organizations like the American Legion or VFW, but all states, and many counties and local municipalities have VSOs as well. These VSOs all have your best interest in mind and exist to help you get the benefits you deserve.VSOs can assist veterans and their families in many ways, including:

  • answering questions, advising, and educating individuals and groups on what benefits are available from federal, state, county, and local resources
  • assisting persons in completing and filing benefit claims
  • representing individuals in VA hearings

VSO's are trained and accredited by the VA or other recognized organizations to provide assistance to veterans, their dependents, and survivors. This includes not only applying for federal and state benefits but also providing information on resources related to the following:

  • Compensation and Pension
  • Health Care
  • Education & Training
  • Employment
  • Burial & Survivor
  • Housing
  • Transportation
  • Military Records

VFW Post 4031's Veteran Service Officer can be reached at (970) 247-0384.

The La Plata County Veteran Service Officer can be reached at either (970) 759-0117 or (970) 382-6150. The La Plata County Veteran Service Office is located at 1970 East Third Avenue, Suite 102, Durango, Colorado 81301