All those who fought and served their country when they received
the call, were men and women of courage, judgment, integrity and
dedication. Where does dedication end? You can never put an end to
After all, those who remain Prisoners of War or are still
Missing in Action are still serving with never ending dedication. For
them, it can never be over. For us, we can never let their sacrifices,
or them, be forgotten.
VFW's POW/MIA Goals
The VFW will not rest until we achieve the fullest possible accounting of all missing American military service members from all wars. The VFW encourages the U.S. government to continue its missing personnel accounting efforts, and is directly engaged with former enemy nations urging their fullest cooperation and assistance in obtaining information about American POWs/MIAs. VFW national officers make periodic trips to Pacific, Asian and European countries where they meet with senior host country officials to stress the importance of conducting investigation and recovery operations, as well as gaining access to documents and archival research facilities.
VFW's Stance on POW/MIA Issues
- Never quit on achieving the fullest possible accounting of all American POWs/MIAs from all wars.
- Urge Congress to fully fund the requested amounts for the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency and all supporting agencies involved in the Full Accounting Mission.
- Encourage POW/MIA public awareness projects and events.
- Support POW/MIA Recognition Day.
- Encourage the flying of the POW/MIA flag on all local, state and federal government buildings as reminder that this issue is a matter of national importance.
- Immediately drape all transfer cases containing recovered remains of military members with the U.S. flag upon departure from foreign soil.
- Solicit and provide information to assist the government of Vietnam in accounting for their own missing in action during the war with the U.S.
- Keep the U.S.-Russia Joint Commission on POW/MIAs intact in mission, personnel and funding.
POW/MIA Missing Man Table